Chief Judge Vanessa G. Whipple and the Judges of the Louisiana Court of Appeal, First Circuit, are pleased to announce the institution of voluntary electronic filing beginning on Monday, June 16, 2014. EFiling will be available as one of the services offered through EClerk’s Counter on the First Circuit’s website at www.la-fcca.org.
The process to EFile at the First Circuit will be simple and streamlined:
- Register with EClerk’s Counter
- Select EFiling from the EClerk’s Counter services menu
- Select a document type with an applicable filing fee or a document with no filing fee
- Upload the document in PDF format
- Checkout ($5.00 copying charge on ALL EFilings, regardless of whether a filing fee is applicable or not)
EFiled documents must be submitted in accordance with the newly adopted Local Rule 8. Local Rule 8 provides that the uploaded documents must be in PDF format with an electronic signature. In addition, for EFiled documents, a “declaration” is allowed to substitute for an affidavit when an affidavit would otherwise be required under the Uniform Rules of the Courts of Appeal. In all other respects, the content and format of an electronically filed documents will have to comply with the Uniform Rules.
In addition to the requirements set out in Local Rule 8, the First Circuit website will have a section under EClerk’s Counter Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for EFiling details. Furthermore, the Clerk’s Office can be reached at (225) 382-3000 to answer any questions or concerns about the new EFiling service.